27 February 2009

Ripple Effects of the Vet Art Project Incubator at the Chicago Cultural Center

Here are some interesting ripples in the Chicago Community caused by the Vet Art Project:

2 people were so inspired by the program they are now going to volunteer at their local VA

DCA Theater is now permanently offering a discount ticket price to all veterans

Many veterans are calling to participate in the next project

Many people are asking where they can see this performance because they're sorry they missed it. (Sorry, this was a single night performance unless . . . anyone interested in remounting this?)

We now have a mailing list.

Do you know of a ripple effect? Please add it to the comments!

Here are some kind words of support we've received to date:

"It was an honor to work with professionals who really, truly and genuinely care about veterans and their lives. It's a great start to reaching out to other veterans and people." --Bill Crist, Vietnam Veteran

"Thank you so very much for letting us participate in this incredible program. You did a hell of a job many can be very proud of!" -- Bob Curry, Vietnam Veteran, Founder dryhootch.org

"They were all moving, riveting, resounding, stirring, saddening, maddening. You have given us a great gift with your vision." --Ilona Meagher, author of Moving a Nation to Care, ptsdcombat.blogspot.com

"All of my students were moved, amazed, and surprised by their trip to the Vet Arts Project performance." --Carolyn Hoerdemann, DePaul instructor, actress, artist participant in the Vet Art Project
 
"I was so deeply moved by Monday night. There were so many moments that touched me so deeply. This work is so important. Thank you!! I have always  believed Theater, and Art in any form, has the power to transform the world." --Rohina, solo artist

"I just wish there was another performance because I've been telling everyone about it, and I think there are so many people who need to see it. " --Dawn Leader-Peloso, writer, DePaul graduate student

"What an amazing accomplishment and turn out. . . . I was so inspired that I called Jesse Brown VA Hospital and asked about volunteering." --Jennifer Miller, writer, yoga instructor in training

"You did such a beautiful job on the Vet Art Project and performance. It was so moving to see the culmination of all your work on this journey. Sending you, the project's artists, and most importantly the veterans, a sincere thank you for this amazing collaboration and sharing these vital, haunting, spirited stories with us." --Cynthia Frahm, Development Director, Chicago Dramatists

"A fabulous and inspirational evening. It seems that what can be a somewhat touchy and cautious topic was opened up with dignity and grace. . . . I was deeply moved." --Gail Adduci, Dance/Movement Therapist who has worked with Veterans & whose brother is an OIF Veteran

"That was an AWESOME event last night. . . . A reminder that as individuals we can all make a difference. Well done!" --Diane J. Rakocy, writer, visual artist, and Vet Art Project artist participant

"It was an amazing experience to engage in community building with other artists who work in other media with a much, much larger purpose in mind." Suellen Semekoski, adjunct faculty member, School of the Art Institute and Vet Art Project artist participant

"WOW that was so moving on Monday night. . . . Thank you for all the love you have shared!" --Kathleen Nesbitt, writer, writing coach, and Vet Art Project artist participant

3 comments:

mping said...

We are the spearhead of a movement. This is an exciting time in the history of what I see to become a great organization of veterans and artists collaborating. I think people are realizing that art, and the people in the art world are the key to helping veterans, and combating PTSD. I am proud to be a part of it, and thank you all, especially Lisa and Jessa for bringing us all together with this common goal. It's their vision that is instrumental in creation.

Jeanine Hill-Soldner said...

For many years I have produced my own art about war. Mainly paintings and the occasional writings. I was alone in a wilderness, as were many who have struggled in virtual silence to cope with the emptiness that war imprints on their families and the veterans in their lives. My art exhibit at the National Veterans Art Museum opened a new door to a caring artist community which led me to Lisa and Jessa, Through these passionate ladies I found myself a part of something that I only dreamed was possible in the Vet Art Project. Talk about a "self fulfilling prophecy". I had found the answer to my question "what if" there was a way to help veterans through art? "What if"?

The Vet Art Project is the vehicle that has compelled me to find the strength to continue creating my art about war. Thank you Lisa and Jessa for making the Vet Art Project possible. My experiences with all of the artists and veterans involved show the kindness and compassion for veterans that is rare in this world. A seed has been planted that is anwering "what if" loud and clear!

Anonymous said...

Lisa Rosenthal put together one of the most inspiring projects. The variety of work created an environment that all could connect with. Upon telling my grandfather about the show, a Vietnam veteran, he was moved to tears. I hope this idea continues to grow. Congratulations to all!